vendredi 30 janvier 2009

Could this man be CURSED !


Tellement interesant qu'ils en on fait un article dessus mais laissez donc le pauvre John en parler lui-même:

"Reading Michael Drosnin's response to Michael Shermer's column on the Bible "code" and its ability to accurately predict the future, I could not help but laugh. I have been a writer and illustrator of comic books for the past 30 years, and in that time I have "predicted" the future so many times in my work my colleagues have actually taken to referring to it as "the Byrne Curse."

It began in the late 1970s. While working on a Spider-Man series titled "Marvel Team-Up" I did a story about a blackout in New York. There was a blackout the month the issue went on sale (six months after I drew it.) While working on "Uncanny X-Men" I hit Japan with a major earthquake, and again the real thing happened the month the issue hit the stands.

Now, those things are fairly easy to "predict," but consider these: When working on the relaunch of Superman, for DC Comics, I had the Man of Steel fly to the rescue when disaster beset the NASA space shuttle. The Challenger tragedy happened almost immediately thereafter, with time, fortunately, for the issue in question to be redrawn, substituting a "space plane" for the shuttle.

Most recent, and chilling, came when I was writing and drawing "Wonder Woman," and did a story in which the title character was killed, as a prelude to her becoming a goddess. The cover for that issue was done as a newspaper front page, With the headline "Princess Diana Dies." (Diana is Wonder Woman's real name). That issue went on sale on a Thursday. The following Saturday ... I don't have to tell you, do I?

My ability as a prognosticator, like Drosnin's, would seem assured--provided, of course, we reference only the above, and skip over the hundreds of other comic books I have produced which featured all manner of catastrophes, large and small, which did not come to pass.

--John Byrne, byrne415@optonline.net

P. S. One of my fellow comic folk reminded me of another "prediction." I did a Hulk story that had a Canadian battleship in it. As a gag, the ship was named "Deifenbacher," after the former Prime Minister. Ships of the line are not traditionally named after living people--which is what John Deifenbacher was when the story was written. By the time it was published, he was dead. Mea culpa!"


Magasine disponible ici

Aucun commentaire: